Starting on January 9, 2023, the Small Business Administration (SBA) will completely take over Service-Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business certifications (SDVOSB) and Veteran Owned Small Business certifications (VOSB). They will process SBA SDVOSB certifications, SBA VOSB certifications, and award applications from that point forward. Also, self-certification will not be accepted any longer.
Two things you need to know:
1. The Department of Veterans Affairs will no longer be processing and verifying SDVOSB/VOSB certification applications.
2. You are no longer able to claim you are SDVOSB/VOSB when completing your SAM registration unless you are properly certified through the SBA.
What does this mean for businesses who are certified by the VA?
Your certification will rollover to an SBA SDVOSB certification or SBA VOSB certification if it is not expired. When it comes time to renew your certification you will have to reverify your information with the SBA. All previously VA verified, and re-verified businesses must complete the application process and re-verify their business for SBA SDVOSB certification or SBA VOSB certification.
The SBA application process will be slightly different than the previous process with the VA. You can go through the SBA website to process your SBA SDVOSB certification application, or you can allow the professionals at Select GCR to complete your SBA VOSB certification application, submit it on your behalf and follow it through to approval. Either way you go, the SBA application, verification and award process will take longer.
The SBA oversees WOSB and soon VOSB. They are already backed up on WOSB applications, making the approval process lengthy. Adding SBA SDVOSB certifications and SBA VOSB certifications to the mix will only slow things down further.
Let Us Help You With Your SBA SDVOSB Certification
Speak to an Advisor Today!
What does this mean for self-certified veteran owned small businesses?
To be self-certified means to have claimed you are a Veteran Owned Small Business on your SAM registration without properly being certified through the VA. This status is being stripped from business owners.
There is a grace period, as with most cases of new programs, for losing your self-certification. The SBA is allowing business to continue to be self-certified through Jan 1, 2024. You must process your SBA SDVOSB certification or SBA VOSB certification before the first of 2024.
At that point, you’ve got to weigh your options.
Option 1 – Let your self-certification go on January 1, 2024. You can continue to do business as usual. If you are comfortable with the contracts, you are getting and your competition isn’t steep, don’t worry about your certification.
Option 2 – Get certified. Are you getting the contracts you hoped you would get as a self-certified business? If not, your business could qualify for VSOB set aside contracts upon approval of SBA SDVOSB certification or SBA VOSB certification. This could be a whole new revenue stream for your business. VOSB set aside contracts are given strictly to certified veteran owned small businesses. There is low competition and a greater chance of award with these types of contracts.
What is the process to apply for SBA SDVOSB Certification?
- Create a login at the SBA website. Enter all your business’ information and complete your company profile for the SBA.
- Compile required documentation for SBA VOSB certification. There is standard documentation that must be submitted along with the SBA application. Be prepared ahead of time.
- Fill out the online application. This must be done in one web session. Be prepared to spend some time in front of the computer without interruption.
- Submit online application and necessary documents via website. You will need to submit all your required documents and your application at the same time in one session.
- You will receive acknowledgement that the SBA received your application. This will tell you approximately how long it will take to process your application.
- Stay active during the processing time. The SBA tends to request additional documents through the verification process. You must respond and submit the information quickly or else you could face denial of your SBA SDVOSB certification.
- After the processing time has been fulfilled, you will receive notification of approval or denial. Remember, this time could be lengthy due to it being a new program.
Select GCR has a proven marketing strategy that clients have seen a remarkable return on investment. We have helped our clients see over $700 million in federal funds. Our marketing strategy will position your business for success in the Federal sector. Showcasing your business as a viable option to thousands of Government contacts that are relevant to your NAICS code is our specialty.
Our SBA certification specialists can walk you through every step of the process and bring your business to the next level. We want to help you grow your business by way of Government contracting. SBA VOSB certification and SBA SDVOSB certification is a great way to bring a new revenue stream to your front door.